What is an Overactive Bladder?
An overactive bladder is described as a sudden urge to urinate due to an issue with the function of the bladder.
- Sudden or spontaneous contractions of the bladder muscle.
- Individuals who may be more sensitive to the feeling of their bladder filling.
- Increased production of urine at night.
Affecting both men and women, overactive bladder symptoms are common and will occur in around 10-20% of people.
- Urgency: a sudden need to void urine. This urge may be difficult to control, sometimes leading to involuntary loss of urine (incontinence).
- Urinary frequency: the need to void urine more often than usual.
- Nocturia: waking at night to void urine.